Threshing Barn

This barn originally stood on Ledyard Road in the Town of Venice.

It was built about 1810 and moved to this location 1991. Most of the structural parts are original but the siding and roof were replaced.

The barn is typical of the barns that the pioneers built in this area. It was patterned after the barns that were in use in England for the storage and processing of grain crops. The main features of this type  of barn are the three bays. One of the side bays was for the storage  of hay for the animals. The other side bay generally had space for the animals and an overhead loft for the bundles of wheat and other cereal grains. The center bay was fitted with swinging doors at both ends and also had a tightly fitted floor. It was this bay and the threshing floor, that gave us the name of Threshing Barn.

Currently the barn is used for the display and storage of older agricultural tools and implements and also demonstrates the post and beam architecture that has been in use for hundreds of years. The barn is only open to the public during the Wheat Harvest Festival but tours can be arranged by contacting the GHA or the Town Historian at 315-364-8796.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos of the barn raising